I don't really know how to start writing about what I just read. No, I'm not the one who is crazy (but do crazy people know they are crazy?), but there is just so much to discuss from the 4th chapter of Daniel.
Question: If you had a weird dream in the past that was interpreted correctly, wouldn't you take heed to that same interpreter's warnings when he advised you about your 2nd weird dream? Would you listen if he told you that you would lose your kingdom because of your pride?
Answer: If you were Nebuchadnezzar, your answer would be "No" because you might already be crazy for not listening!!
In Daniel 4, we learn of Nebuchadnezzar's second dream. Boy am I thankful I don't have dreams like his! Neb praises God, our God, in verses 1-3, which to me is interesting because while he praises God, he still doesn't listen to God. (I think we are all guilty of this at times-sad to say). Neb has Daniel interpret the dream again and basically told Neb the following:
- That God would take away his kingdom.
- That God would take away his sanity (he would be dwelling and eating grass with the beasts of the field (v25).
- That this situation would remain until he recognized that the "Most High" rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomever He chooses (v 25)
David advised Neb the following in Ch 4:27:
"Therefore, O king, let my advice be acceptable to you; break off your sins by being righteous, and your iniquities by showing mercy to the poor. Perhaps there may be a lengthening of your prosperity."
Stay tuned tomorrow for Neb's reaction! :)
Questions to think about:
1) Can we change a known future by changing our behavior?
2) When you hear from God, do you always do what He says?