For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, - Romans 1:20 NKJV
Have you ever thought what you could know about God from just observing His creation? When was the last time you took the time to just sit in a park or anywhere outside where you could look at something other than man-made structures and marvel over the magnificence of it all? Some of my most intimate times with God come during the times where I am out in a park and take time to just soak it all in.
A couple of weeks ago, I was doing some bible study homework in a local office park where one of the questions was similar to one I just posed here. As I sat on a park bench looking through some trees at a pond on a perfect, sunny late summer day, I took note of what I saw. Here is what I wrote down in my journal as I sat there:
- water & water fountains
- slight breeze - feeling it on my face and hearing it through the trees
- color all around - amber/brown of the dying grass, green of the flourishing grass, brilliant flowers in the landscaping, azur blue sky and water, white clouds, bright green moss on the rocks at the water's edge
- sun glistens on the water
- warmth of the sun and the coolness of the shade
- spider web in the distance with a leaf suspended in it
- scampering squirrels gathering nuts for winter
- a blue heron about 30 yards from me looking for a late afternoon snack
- another bird flying low over the water looking for food
- sounds of water fountain, breeze through the trees, and the buggy creatures in the woods all around
- a stray yellow leaf floating to the ground from a tree
- How many types of shapes, textures and colors are really here in this "picture", seen or unseen?
Can you picture some of my scene? In really looking at the diversity and detail of the world we as human beings did not create, how can we not believe that a divine being exists that created it all? Now, translating this into what I can see about God's attributes, I wrote down the following:
- God is infinitely intelligent - Who else could have imagined all that He has created from the massive universe to the unnumerable species of plants, animals and crawly things? Think of the lines, the curves, the textures, the different types of matter.
- God is creative. That goes without saying, given the previous statement.
- God is crafty. How else could He create things so well that each piece of physical creation pictures some type of spiritual principle?
- God is ruler of all.
- God is powerful.
- God is merciful.
- God is a provider. Every living thing has to eat something!
- God loves beauty.
- God loves us by even the simple act of providing us beauty.
- God is orderly.
- God is.
I could go on and on here, couldn't I? As the bible says, because our world itself shows evidence of God and His character qualities, we are without excuse in knowing He exists. From God's creation - even the little piece of it we can see - we are able to discern quite a bit about God. As created little people in a massive creation, who are we to think that we know it all? Do our measly mechanical inventions even compare to what God has created? Anything we create is merely a cheap copy of what God has already perfected. Does God need gears or motors or artificial power to make things move? I think not. I am speechless when I realize how small I am in the whole scheme of things, but I am glad that my God is the Creator of all and still is mindful of me.
For further thought/discussion:
1) What can you add to my list of God's attributes from your view of creation?
2) How does thinking about such things affect how you might live your life today?
3) What can the world know about you from your "creation"?