You may think I'm just golfing today, but I will be really having a deep spiritual experience. :) I know, those of you who don't play, and maybe some who do are rolling your eyes and thinking, "How are you going to spiritualize a golf game? It is, after all, just a game." Yes, it is just a game, one that takes up a lot of time and can become obsessive. However golf is unique in that it provides many opportunities to become a better person. So, before I get ready for church and then golf, I'd like to share some of these "opportunities" with you. :)
The game of golf provides an opportunity to practice...
1. Patience - Inevitably on the course you will wait and wait and are helpless to do anything about it. This can either build good character or exploit bad character. Oh, let patience have its perfect work in us! (James 1:4)
2. Prayer - I wonder how many times I have actually cried out to God to help me out of those awful sand traps I find myself in. Sometimes, prayer even works on the course.
3. Praise - Thank the Lord for the miracle shot! :) After all, every good gift is from God. (James 1:17)
4. Perseverance - One bad shot is not the end of the world. Yes, I'm giving myself a little "self talk" before my tee time today at 12:51. :) Four hours is a long time to stay focused sometimes when the day isn't going well. Like in life, we must press on. (2 Tim 4:7)
5. Probity - I know. I've never heard of this word either, but my Thesaurus says it is a synonym for honesty. :) I had to stick with the "P"'s, you know. Did you know that when you play golf that if you swing and miss you still need to count it as a stroke? Oh, how tempting it is to just say "I was taking a very aggressive practice swing". This is just one of many examples of how golf tests a person's honesty and integrity. (Titus 2:7)
6. Power - Golf is such a game of paradox. The harder you try the worse you play - at least for me. Mind games, mind games, mind games. We must take easy swings and let the club do its job. Hmm...I don't think that God needs my help either. (2 Cor 12:9)
Okay. Now that I've thought about some of the spiritual applications I can glean from the game of golf and since I'm going to church this morning, maybe God will bless me with a great round! :) I can only hope.
Until next time...