The Test of a Blessing
Discerning a Blessing

Pressing Toward the Goal

Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Jesus Christ has also laid hold of me...forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus - Philippians 3:12-14 NKJV

I wonder if we don't underestimate the power of knowing our callings in life - what Christ has "laid hold" of us for.  After we are initially called by God to come to him in a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, there is a secondary calling.  God has a purpose for our lives.  God has given each of us a unique set of abilities and personalities to be employed for his use and once we surrender completely to His will, we will live more satisfying lives. 

I would venture to say that most of us never reach our full God-given potential.  Even if we discover our own specific purpose for our lives, many of us never put plans into action to move forward toward them.  Take a look at some recent statistics regarding goal setting.

Research shows that approximately 95 percent of us have never written out our goals in life, but of the 5 percent who have, 95 percent have achieved their goals.  In 1953 at Yale University, 3 percent of the graduating class had specific, written goals for their lives.  In 1975, researchers found that the 3 percent who wrote down their goals had accomplished more than the other 97 percent put together. - John Maxwell, Be All You Can Be, p29

Interesting stuff, huh?  I wonder if our apostle Paul wrote down his goals.  Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but the fact remains that he did know what he was called to do.  And his sense of calling drew him toward the end result.  He kept looking and reaching forward toward his goals. 

Connect Learning to Living:

1) Do you know what your life's purpose is?  If you would like to know, there are some excellent resources available to help you with this.  I'd be glad to help.

2) If you know your life purpose, what are you doing with what you know?

3) Where do you want to be in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years?  What would your life look like then?  What would need to change in your life to get there?  Who can hold you accountable to pressing toward your goals?

_____________________________________________________________________________

Janna Rust is a Life/Business Coach and Speaker dedicated to encouraging others towards lives God intends for them.  For more information, visit her at www.purposefulpartnerships.com.

Comments